I share in this post a short video with a practice drill focused on improving our defensive transition rules as a team.
In my mind, the most important rules to do a right defensive transition must be:
- Go for the offensive rebound resolutely. If we can not grab it, press the outlet pass.
- Do not allow the opponent to get easy buckets (no lay-ups).
- Stop the ball as quickly as possible. The baller has to be stopped during his/her second bounce.
- Collapse the middle lanes.
- Not to allow the bigs to cut through the paint without bumping them (mismatch).
- Watch out for shooters.
- Match up as quickly as we are able to.
4v3+1 defensive transition rules
stop the baller (disadvantage for the defensive team)