In this post, I am going to comment on some notes about the talk I was able to give last September at the coaches’ clinic organized by the coaches committee of Hørsholm 79ers Basketball, with the validation of the Danish Basketball Federation.
“A proposal on how to approach the preparation of a basketball practice”
The purpose of the talk was to share with the participating coaches my personal point of view on how to face the preparation of basketball practices, through methodological aspects, use of available resources, or the fundamentals of the practice, among others.
STARTING KEY POINTS
- Coach’s philosophy
- Coach’s methodology
- Knowledge (of the team / of the play)
WHAT THE COACHES NEED TO
- Knowledge of technical & tactical skills.
- Communicative “windows” (individual goal plans, brief talks, etc.).
- Formative self-demand.
- “Player/victim” dichotomy.
THE COACH AND HIS/HER VARIABLES
- Personal and sports values.
- Leadership style.
Hørsholm 79ers Basketball coaches’ clinic – 09/2020
The coach’s code of ethics will mark his/her way of working and how to lead the team, at the same time that it will serve to lead his/her players by creating his own ethical code for the team.
- Human resources: players, staff, board. Availability, commitment, ambitions.
- Material resources: gym, balls, others. How many days, how much time.
- Environment: relatives, friends, media.
FUNDAMENTALS OF THE PRACTICES
- Compete and enjoy.
- Leading by example.
- Be demanding. What is the right level?
KEYS TO PREPARE THE DRILLS
- Learning pace / competitive pace. When are we going to need each of them?
- Phases to work. How are we going to split the work?
We divide the tasks and the goals into different phases, according to their characteristics. Skills, tactical work, real game situations, etc.
We are going to take a read about our needs as a team and the unique needs of each player, making use of the phases.
I share below a video with different moments of the talk. I hope you find it interesting.